Erectile Dysfunction: Causes And Treatment
Posted On: February 04, 2020
Erectile dysfunction ED is simply the inability to erect when having sexual intercourse. At times, this condition is referred to as impotence. This condition is not very common. People experience it during a time of stress. There is need to seek treatment if you have frequent erectile dysfunction.
This condition was first discovered by Vincent Marie. The well-known scientist developed a research into this condition in 1800. Although Erectile dysfunction is much common to older men, it also affects some young people and can cause adverse effects on relationships and emotional health. It is important to talk to your doctor if the ED becomes an ongoing problem.
Types of erectile dysfunction
Normally, there are two main types of erectile dysfunction that include:
- Low flow – It is the most common type of erectile dysfunction. This type occurs when the blood gets trapped in the erection chambers.
- High flow – Unlike the low flow, this erectile dysfunction is rarest. It is less painful. This condition happens when the penis is injured more so the area between anus and scrotum. When the penis is injured, there is little or even no blood flow.
Causes of erectile dysfunction
It has been proved that erectile dysfunction can be caused by problems in any of the following systems.
- Blood flow.
- Nerve supply.
Here are the most common causes of erectile dysfunction.
- Heart disease – This is a common term that has been used to describe any disorder of the heart. Unlike the cardiovascular disease that mainly describes problems with the circulatory system, heart disease refers to deformities in the heart. Do you know that heart disease is the leading cause of death in the United Kingdom and the United States? In fact, one in every four deaths in the United States of America happens as a result of heart disease. There are numerous types of heart diseases. The following heart diseases affect different parts of the organ.
- Congenital disease.
- Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy.
- Mitral regurgitation.
- Diabetes – Diabetes impairs the body’s ability to process blood glucose. Blood glucose is also known as blood sugar. Numerous people have been diagnosed with this condition in the United States. It is good to know that diabetes can lead to a buildup of sugars in the blood. Doctors have claimed that this increases the risk of getting stroke and heart disease. Managing diabetes mainly depends on the specific type. Not all diabetes occurs as a result of an overweight and inactive lifestyle. In fact, some types of diabetes develop from childhood. Type 2 diabetes, type 1 diabetes and gestational diabetes are some of the most popular types of diabetes. This is one of the major causes of erectile dysfunction.
- High blood pressure – Doctors measure the force that blood exerts on the walls of the arteries. Blood pressure can cause serious health complications if it is high for too long. It has been known to cause damages to the blood vessels. Some of the complications caused by blood pressure are life-threatening. These complications include vision loss and stroke. This is one major cause of erectile dysfunction. There are different reliable ways that can be used to manage high blood pressure. Unlike many conditions, blood pressure does not cause symptoms. What will make you know that indeed your blood pressure level is high? After the regular screening, you will be in a position to know whether you need any medical attention. Reliable data from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention have shown that more than 75 million people in the United States live with high blood pressure.
- High cholesterol – There is no doubt that cholesterol is both good and bad. Cholesterol is one of the most important substances in the body. A high concentration of cholesterol is very dangerous in the body. High level of cholesterol inhibits the quality of blood flow needed in the genital area, which may lead to This is one of the major causes of erectile dysfunction in men. You will be at risk of getting a heart attack if you have a high level of cholesterol in the blood. This substance is found in every part of the body. It is very essential when it comes to production of vitamin D. It is fatty like appearance.
- Obesity – How much should you weigh? There are different factors that play a major role in a person’s health. Age and body fat distribution are the most essential factors. You risk developing certain health complications if you have excess weight. That does not mean that everyone who carries extra weight can develop these conditions. If you don’t manage your weight, you might experience some problems in the future including erectile dysfunction.
- Parkinson disease – Do you know what Parkinson disease is? It is a movement disorder that affects the nervous system. The symptoms become worse over time. What’s the origin of this disease? It is as a result of a fall in dopamine levels in the brain. This disease is more popular in women. The risk of getting Parkinson disease increases with age. If the disease develops before 50 years, it is referred to as early-onset Parkinson disease.
- Multiple sclerosis – You might have heard about this disease over the years. The chronic disease affects the central nervous system. This disease leads to numerous symptoms. It has been a hard task predicting how this disease progress in human beings. In addition, there is no reliable data that shows how many people have MS.
- Alcoholism – Nowadays, it is called an alcohol use disorder. It is the physical need to consume alcohol. Many people view it as an unhelpful and negative label. Approximately 5 million people die every year from the harmful use of alcohol. You should avoid alcohol if you don’t want erectile dysfunction to develop in the future.
- Radiation therapy in the pelvic region – Radiation therapy is the treatment for cancer and other cancerous growths. It is recommended by doctors at different stages. Besides reducing the size of tumor, this treatment option kills cancerous cells. It is a great option when it comes to relieving pain in palliative care. Usually, the treatment involves a machine that normally produces a beam of radiation. The radiation targets a specific area of the body. There are greater chances of erectile dysfunction developing when radiation therapy targets the pelvic region.
Symptoms of erectile dysfunction
What are the main symptoms of erectile dysfunction? You might be having an ED if you experience the following symptoms.
- Trouble getting an erection. When hormones and nerves work together you become sexually aroused. Signals are sent from the brain to the penis. This stimulates muscles to relax. From there, the blood flows to the tissue in the penis. An erection is only achieved when the blood fills the penis. The erection is maintained after the blood vessels close off. Some people have been experiencing difficulties in maintaining an erection. In most cases, these problems are not a serious issue.
- Premature ejaculation. Ejaculation is the release of semen during an organism. Premature ejaculation is when you ejaculate before your partner is satisfied. It is highly considered as a type of erectile dysfunction. People experience premature ejaculation along with erectile dysfunction. The early stages of premature ejaculation involve ejaculating more than a minute after penetration during the intercourse.
- Delayed ejaculation. You can agree with me that it is a common medical condition. In other words, it is also called impaired ejaculation. It is prolonged sexual stimulation for a man to ejaculate.
In most cases, ejaculation cannot be achieved at all. Most men experience this condition from time to time. This condition does not cause any medical complications. However, research has shown that it is the cause of stress. It has created problems in many people’s sex life and personal relationships. While some people ejaculate with oral stimulation, others cannot ejaculate at all.
Treatment of erectile dysfunction
Every doctor will make sure you are getting the right treatment for your erectile dysfunction. Treatment options depend on the cause and severity of this condition. There are numerous treatment options. Before the treatment, your doctor will tell you the risks and benefits. You can consider your preferences. In addition, your partner treatment options can be part of your preferences.
Here are the three major oral medications.
Many of the hard core medicines for treating ED however have shown to present numerous side effects. It is also comforting to know that there are good dietary supplements specifically designed to help with the problem.
Prevention of erectile dysfunction
You can easily prevent erectile dysfunction through the following methods.
- Quit smoking – Smoking is linked to heart disease. Smoking increases the risk of getting erectile dysfunction. With that in mind, you should avoid smoking like the plaque.
- Follow a healthy eating plan – This is the right time to avoid foods with high-fat content. The healthy eating plan is very essential when it comes to a healthy weight. It will control blood pressure and diabetes. You should seek help from a counselor if you are addicted to alcohol.
- Maintain a healthy weight to prevent diabetes – A healthy weight will help you delay the start of diabetes. You should talk with your doctor so that he or she can advise you on how to manage your condition.
You don’t know whether you will experience erectile dysfunction in the future. There are some known causes of the condition and it is best to seek a medical professional advice to determine your medical condition. You have a chance to prevent this from happening to you. Erectile dysfunction can be prevented by avoiding alcohol and quitting smoking.